5 Questions To Ask Yourself Before You Sign Up For That Free Call
The beginning of the New Year promises tons of emails hitting your inbox offering a new teleseries, webinar, coaching program – you name it – I bet you have received something from someone who has your email soliciting your attention under the guise of a free call.
Honestly, I did a free preview call last week for my Social Networking Made Simple membership group. Coaches and entrepreneurs need to self-promote as I discussed in my blog a few weeks ago, however, this past week over twenty offers for free stuff crossed my inbox. What to do? Read them all, participate in everything?
Since my byline is Overcome Your Overwhelm, I would like to share my strategy on how to sort through the offers, the invitations, and the emails in order to make a sound business decision that will benefit you and your business.
1) Do you know the person making the offer? Sounds simple enough, right. And by know I mean do you have some kind of relationship with them online or off? Do you like and trust them? If the answer is no to any of the above, unsubscribe.
2) Do you need what they are offering? Are they solving a pressing pain, problem or predicament you have, and, here is the key - have you actively been searching for a solution?Is solving this problem on the top of your priority list? You may not need their offer immediately; in this case inquire as to when the class or call will be happening again. Put it on the back burner, in other words.
3) Sounds obvious, but have to ask. Is their program in your marketing budget? Yes, I know the email says free call, but there is usually some kind of special offer with a bonus included. Do you have the money to invest? Is a payment plan going to be offered?
4) How much time will the new program take? As entrepreneurs, budgeting time is just as important as budgeting money. If you commit, can you follow through?
5) Avoid being a serial student. Smart marketers know exactly how to catch your attention. Never sign up immediately. Sleep on it. Read through the email again and refer to points 1-4 above before making a decision.
As a social media coach, I have two coaches. Two people I like and trust who have delivered for me time and time again. And I discovered them via the free call. I strongly believe in signing up for preview programs when the circumstances fit my budget, my time constraints and my interest level, and the needs of my business. Reviewing your business plan (and I certainly hope you have one) before spending time and money is essential.
How many programs have you signed up for that you never completed or found to be a total waste of your time? What did you participate in that was a life-changer for you? Please tell your story!
Laurie Hurley is a social media consultant and hostess of The Social Networking NewsHour on internet radio. She offers a preview call for her programs, but only to those who have opted in to her list!